Labels

Friday 11 October 2013

OUGD403 - Studio Brief 2 - Alphabet Soup Visual Research

After thinking of words relating to my given word 'Speech' I began looking at existing type designs and images of speech and sound.


I visited Brighton University's graphic design open day last year and collected a book showing students work. One piece I particularly liked was a font designed by Bryn Mackenzie called 'Broadcast' where he looked at analogue recordings and combined them into a typeface. I like how despite the letters being distorted quite a lot the original letters are still legible, also I like the organic feel to the font how each letter is not specific and the randomness makes the alphabet as a whole flow well. 

  
 

Another image that came to mind was Joy Divisions Unknown Pleasures album artwork. The design is sound waves recorded from an exploding star. I like the minimal composition and the white lines on black background to me communicate space and distance. I also think the abstract shapes generated by the sound could work as letters in a font.  





No comments:

Post a Comment